Executive Order Providing Tax Relief from Tax Appeals Deadlines
Questions, please call the Assessing Department at ( 231) 947-8647, option #4.
Welcome to the Assessing Department
The Assessing Department is responsible for estimating the market value of taxable properties in East Bay Charter Township. The Assessing Department strives to be ass accurate and efficient as possible to have the optimal impact of government costs upon property owners.
Michigan Constitution and property tax law requires that all property be uniformly assessed at no more than 50% of true cash value, the cash price a property has in a competitive open market.
General Property Tax Act [MCL211.1] requires real and personal property to be assessed annually by a certified assessing officer. The assessment roll must include the name and address of every person subject to taxation in the municipality. The roll must also contain a full property description, including the number of acres.
The Assessing Department is required to maintain assessing records, which includes annual assessments, taxable values, maintenance of owner and taxpayer name and address, legal descriptions and homestead information for each property in the township. Inspections of properties will be made to continually develop accurate assessing records.
There are various reasons that your assessed and taxable values can increase. An assessed value can increase if improvements are made to the property, or if the general market increases. Taxable values are capped at the rate of inflation or 5%, whichever is less, unless there are new improvements made to the property.
On October 26th, 2005, East Bay Charter Township contracted the Grand Traverse County Equalization to become the Township's registered assessor to help update property assessment information. Our staff will continue to be in the field to measure structures and update photos.
Further Links & Forms
- Parcel & GIS info: visit http://gis.co.grandtraverse.mi.us/gis/
- Pictometry (requires authorization): visit http://explorer.eagleview.com/login.php
- Homestead (P.R.E.) Form Due June 1st: Homeowner's Principal Residence Exemption Affidavit
- Homestead Rescind Form: Homestead Rescind Form
- Non-Consideration of True Cash Value Form: True Cash Value Form
- Michigan Tax Tribunal Property Appeal Form: Tax Tribunal Property Appeal Form
- Change of Address Form: Change of Address Form
- Having a hard time making ends meet? See if you qualify for Poverty Exemption: Poverty Exemption Application & Poverty Exemption Guidelines
- Other informational links: State of Michigan - Department of Treasury & International Asssociation of Assessors
Assessing Department Contact Info
Senior Appraiser, MAAO
Senior Appraiser, MAAO
James D. Baker
Equalization Director, Grand Traverse County, MMAO (4)
Assessor of Record, East Bay Charter Township